Sunday, December 9, 2012

Books: A Reference List

Books I have read multiple times (since middle school), and approximately how many times I have read them:

  • The Hobbit (2-3 times. At least twice in seventh grade.)
  • Dangerous Angels (4-6 times. Picked up while volunteering at the Ferguson Library. Haven't put down since. My favorite book.)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (2 times. Once for school, once because of reasons.)
  • The Princess Diaries (2 times. Also picked up at the library.)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (3 times. Once all at once, while sitting in Standsted Airport overnight, waiting to fly to Italy to see Sarah.)
  • Beowulf (2-3 times, at least twice for different classes.)
  • The Canterbury Tales (2 times, some stories more than that. At least part of it was read while IN Canterbury.)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (3-6 times. The first book I read that taught me one could simultaneously function within the rules of AND satirize a genre. Douglas Adams is one of my heroes.)
  • Harry Potter (anywhere between 2 and 6 times, depending on the book.)
  • Twilight (3-5 times, depending on the book.)
  • The Great Gatsby (2 times in completion, though I took a crit course in college that made us apply all the different types of criticism TO Gatsby, so... more than 2).
  • Peter Pan (millions. I was obsessed in 8th grade.)
Books I wouldn't read again if you paid me:
  • The Red Badge of Courage (it gave me nightmares)
  • The Scarlet Letter 
  • Ethan Fromme
  • Pride and Prejudice (still gives me nightmares)
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • Lord of the Flies (which I have read twice and hated both times.)
  • Most of what I was supposed to read in 11th grade.
  • Most of what I was supposed to read in any English survey course in college.
Books I will never stop recommending
  • See List #1 (Save, perhaps, for Twilight.)
  • The Princess Bride
  • Zen in the Art of Writing
  • For that matter, anything by Ray Bradbury, especially Dandelion Wine.
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • John Green's entire body of work
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (for the rancors!)
  • Seriously, Peter Pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment