Friday, February 23, 2018

Fixation Friday: Homeward Bound

Yes, I've been home for almost a whole month. Readjusting to life at my own desk has been a little more complicated than I expected! A month away, a month to readjust. Seems fair. Anyhow. Here's what's going on here in casa de Pendragon:

Fixations of the Week:

 

Finer Things Book Club

My friends and I like to read. A lot. And we like talking about what we read. It follows, pretty logically, I like to think, that we should start a book club. So we did. This month's read was Parable of the Sower, by Octavia Butler which I didn't love. Perhaps if I had read it when I was younger, when it was "newer" to the sci fi scene and I wasn't yet burnt out on dystopian futures....or perhaps when it wasn't quite so....possible?
An image of Lauren from Parable of the Sower

The book follows Lauren, a hyper-empath who can physically feel both the pain and pleasure of others. She is 18, and the book is her journals, which she keeps as she flees her neighborhood, loses her family, and begins developing a new concept for religion which she calls Earthseed. I already knew Butler did some funky stuff with sexuality/sexually charged concepts, and this book was a good example of that.

Butler went on to write the second book in this series, but never quite finished the third and final installment. Her "stop and start" manuscripts are available, but I think I'm going to pass on any more Parable content. It didn't quite grab me. Our next book is Binti, which was recommended heavily by more than one member of the group, and I'm excited to read it! I am continuing with last year's efforts to read more diverse authors and tales, and both Parable and Binti fit that criteria.

Black Panther

I'm not going to write a ton about Black Panther, for a few different reasons. First of all, my opinions echo so many others who have explained themselves more eloquently than I will be able to achieve. Second, Black Panther isn't for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, so much so that it's easily one of my favorite Marvel movies and Shuri one of my favorite characters. But Black Panther opened doors for Black Americans who have never had the opportunity to see representation like this. Yes, of course, more representation benefits absolutely every person in the theatre. Minority groups MUST be better represented in our main-stream media, and not just in stories about whatever it is that makes them a minority. Black Panther is a huge leaping stride in the right direction and I'm so over the moon happy that it is doing as well as it is. I would love to write more about the variety of female characters shown in the film--from age to appearance to role in Wakandan society/Black Panther narrative--and I might. But that's all I really have a right to write about, and so that's where I'll leave this. For now.

The Iceland Review

This is going to come out in pieces, because it's huge and I'm tired of sitting on the pieces of it that are done. So probably all next week, keep an eye out for Iceland review things.

Horror Movies

Ali and I went through a horror movie phase. I don't know why and I don't know when it ended. But I have a soft spot in my heart for horror movies--certain horror movies. This week I saw THREE new (to me) horror movies. Oculus (On my list of shame since it came out b/c Karen Gillan), A Nightmare on Elm Street (of special note for me right now as I work on my Stranger Things research project), and The Babysitter (On our Netflix queue since it was released).
Hermione Granger and the No Good, Very Bad Night.
Honestly? I enjoyed all three, though I do NOT understand how Nightmare became a cult classic and I'd be delighted to have someone explain that to me. I think Babysitter might have been my fave if only because it does that thing I love where a piece of fiction makes fun of a genre, while still functioning within the rules of the genre? Is there a word for that?

Applying For More Residencies

Pretty self-explanatory. I'm applying for more residencies and grants all the time as part of my freelancing job. This week I'm focused on the Edward Albee Residency in Montauk, NY. The app is open until March, for any of you interested in applying. There is no application fee, and no residency fees, either!

READ THIS NOW

What Ever Happened To Brendan Fraser? I read this yesterday and recommend it to literally every single person who is reading this now.
I've had theories on Brendan Fraser and where he went, but I had no idea the truth was so heartbreaking. An important chapter in Hollywood's current changes.

Published This Week


Sam Raimi to Direct 'Name of the Wind' Adaptation.

Bringing Kindness Into the Workplace.

Schwarzenegger Joining Hasselhoff, Fassbender in 80s Action Extravaganza.

"Wakanda the Vote" Encourages 'Black Panther' Audiences to Register.

Tiffany Haddish Headlines ‘Tuca & Bertie’ from ‘Bojack Horseman’ Team.

Atlanta Airport Offers Flights to 'Black Panther's Wakanda.

Yeah that's like two week's worth. Just give me this one, yeah?

What have you been up to lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment